Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Designer Showcase: AIKO


AIKO is a modern concept primarily based around reinventing the classic "sweatshirt". Led by Creative Director Cynthia Mittweg, the first collection launched in New York during Fashion Week Spring 2010. Since then, the collection has evolved into numerous new classifications. For Fall 2011 AIKO introduced leathers, sweaters, and fur. AIKO styles originate from a casual point of view. 

"I've always felt that there was something interesting to be said about a contradiction. I've really considered this in my clothing where I have used either casual fabrics to create more design driven styles or by using luxury fabrics to tell a different story."

Born in London and brought up in Tokyo and LA, Cynthia's life has been filled with music, art, and fashion. Prior to launching AIKO, Cynthia had enjoyed a successful career with her independent band. She has also been painting from the earliest part of her life and her art has been collected by numerous art enthusiasts. Cynthia partnered with fashion industry veteran, Sean Barron. Together they make a strong team from design to distribution.

"AIKO was first conceived as a small music project I had started on my own after having parted ways with my band. It was an experiment surrounding the idea of character called AIKO who I had imagined. AIKO, which in essence is the Japanese translation for "lovely child" has been something I have held dear, I am thrilled to see it grow into this extension of fashion. Music, art, fashion, and film are all interconnected and we see it now more than ever."

Check out the new items from AIKO now at GAVIN....



No comments:

Post a Comment