Popular Posts

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Press on Damen + Division!

Fasthion Truffles was created by Viviana, late twenty-something gal born in Puerto Rico and currently living in the West Village in NYC. 

One of our new jewelry lines, Damen + Division was featured recently on the Fashion Truffles blog.  

Check out the interview below to learn more about this fantastic jewelry line:

Name, Company Name, Age.
Sonia Barrett Esler, Damen + Division Jewelry, 32


When did you start designing jewelry? What sparked your interest in this field?
I started designing in 2008. I had this idea to make bib necklaces, which were all the rage back then, and other big fabric necklaces. I was always interested in art, as well as statement jewelry. Combining the two seemed pretty natural. When I was younger I did a lot of thrifting, so I've always had an affinity for vintage discoveries.


How did the transition from photography to jewelry design occur?
I still do the photography, so I don't know if it is a transition as much as a nice addition I am loving! It's all visual problem solving, whether it's photography or jewelry making, so it is all the same to me. Similarly, I also draw and decorate.


Where do you find inspiration for your pieces? 
I am inspired by the vintage stock I come across: I see a chain or an earring finding, and I figure out how to balance it out with new materials like crystal or turquoise. I am inspired by shape and color. I will see a color story of an outfit or a room or a piece of art and I will try to complement that. I try to incorporate trends to make it contemporary, and I try to think about what sort of events and places Damen + Division can be worn.


Where is your jewelry sold?

Currently we are celebrating the launch of a virtual Build-Your-Own Earring Bar at  www.damen-division.com (great for bridesmaids)! Customers can always contact me via the website or Facebook if they see something they like and want to do a custom piece. 

I am also available at SARCA 710 N. Wabash Ave., Chicago, IL
and GAVIN 1939 Central St., Evanston, IL




No comments:

Post a Comment